Guanacaste, located in the northwest of the country on the Pacific Ocean is known for its beautiful beaches, incredible bird watching, excellent surfing and superb snorkelling.
Choose from a selection of all inclusive hotels including the newest member to the RIU family the RIU Guanacaste, or a smaller more intimate and authentic local property such as Villas Sol or Flamingo Beach Resort where customers get to feel the real atmosphere of Costa Rica. JW Marriott caters for those looking for high end luxury and the Hilton Papagayo has been a firm favorite of Apple Vacations customers over the years and offers excellent service and a very scenic setting. Finally those looking for the best surfing in the area should consider Barcelo Langosta Beach.
Travel Facts about Guanacaste – Costa Rica:
- From December thru May, it is sunny with dry tropical weather and an average temperature of 86°F.
- Before the Spanish arrived, ths territory was inhabited by Chorotega Indians form the town of Zapati, Nacaome, Paro, Cangel, Nicopasaya, Pocosí, Diriá, Papagayo, Namiapí and Orosi.
- The province has an economic and cultural heritage based on beef cattle ranching. Most of the area is covered by small patches of forest, scattered trees and large pastures of coarse grasses where Brahma cattle and related breeds graze.
- Historically, the main source of income of Guanacaste was cattle ranching.
- From May to October, the climate is similar to that of San José, consisting of showers daily and moderate temperatures.
- Guanacaste is, considerably warmer than provinces residing in higher elevations.